As part of our continued efforts to educate you about the importance of breakfast, we’ve got a few ideas on how you can include dairy into your morning meal.
Getting started on the day isn’talways so easy, but putting together a quick meal can be fast and give you lasting benefits. And by including dairy, whether it’s milk or cottage cheese, into your morning routine you’ll get the essential nutrients your mind and body needs to tackle the day.
1. Simple smoothie: A smoothie is fast to make, especially if you grab a few bags of frozen fruit next time you’re at the grocery store. Ellie Krieger, Food Network chef, recommends frozen fruit because it makes your smoothie frothy and cold. Toss in some fruit with Shamrock Farms milk, blend, and you’re ready to go. You can also add almond butter or protein powder to pack it with additional nutrients. Try this banana breakfast shake.
2. Whole lotta latte: Like many of you, we can’t start our day without caffeine, and coffee becomes so much richer and tastier when you add milk! Be sure to accompany your latte or café au lait with eats, like a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and a drizzle of honey, or an egg muffin, which are easy-to-make mini breakfast casseroles. Makea bunch to last you the week by mixing eggs with milk, adding your favorite vegetables and cheese and baking in a muffin panfor 30 minutes in 375° oven. They can be stored in the fridge for a few days or freezer for a couple weeks.
3. Crafty cottage cheese: Cottage cheese is the “hidden gem” of dairy because people often don’t realize how healthy and versatile it is! You can do anything with cottage cheese and it’s a great nutrient-rich, low-carb addition to any recipe. For breakfast, mix Shamrock Farms cottage cheese with fresh fruit and honey. If you like savory dishes, make scrambled eggs! Simply whisk cottage cheese into your egg mixture, cook the eggs and then top with salsa.
4. Whole-grain goodness: Cereal and milk is really the perfect marriage! And if you’re having one of “those” mornings where you can’t seem to get anything together, a simple bowl of whole-grain cereal with Shamrock Farms milk is the way to go. Toss in some dried fruit for an extra punch. It doesn’t take much work and it’s oh-so-good.
5. Brunch goodies in a flash: Don’t you wish you could replicate those fresh-made pancakes or French toast you order at your favorite weekend brunch spot on a weekday? Well, you can! For pancakes, grab your favorite pancake mix and add milk instead of water! You will get a fluffier, richer pancake in no time. Top it with berries and whipped cream. Or, check out our French-toast-in-a-flash recipe!