One in five Americans, or about 60 million people, do not eat or drink anything in the morning before 11 a.m., according to a new analysis by The NPD Group; and millions more opt for nutrient-poor choices on the run. This is despite the fact that studies repeatedly show that skipping breakfast makes it nearly impossible to achieve adequate daily intakes of key nutrients.
Are you the one in those five? If so, we want to help you rethink breakfast! There are many reasons why breakfast should be a part of your day:
- Recharge your brain & body – studies show that breakfast helps you concentrate, focus and gives you energy to tackle the day. It helps kids learn and behave better in the classroom.
- Achieve & maintain a healthy weight – people who skip breakfast actually end up eating more calories throughout the day and tend to weigh more.
- Be a role model – children and teens are most likely to skip breakfast, which is devastating to their health. If you make it a priority, they will follow your lead.
- Bond with your family – although mornings can be chaotic, all you need is a few minutes to eat together so you can bond and feel good knowing your kids are getting off to a right start.
In choosing healthy options for breakfast, milk makes the meal. Milk is the most naturally nutritious drink you could have, with nine essential nutrients, including calcium, potassium and vitamin D, three nutrients that the USDA says Americans need more of. It’s also packed with protein to stay full and satisfied. Plain and simple, it’s not breakfast without Shamrock Farms milk and here’s a few quick ways you can incorporate milk into breakfast:
- Have milk with whole-grain cereal
- Make oatmeal with milk instead of water
- Make pancakes with milk instead of water
- Make a smoothie with milk and fruit
- Enjoy a glass with whole-wheat toast and almond butter
- Grab a single-serve milk and cereal bar
Kids are the population most affected by missing the critical nutrients breakfast and milk can provide. To encourage your family, and all Arizona families, to start off your day right with milk for breakfast, Shamrock Farms is celebrating National Breakfast Week by visiting Phoenix-area schools and serving milk and whole-grain cereal to kids. Our celebration is inspired by the new “got milk?” Breakfast Project campaign to help Americans change their view on breakfast. Check out their website for tons of tips and recipes for breakfast.
And we’re taking it a step further. While most vulnerable children have access to free or reduced cost breakfast at school through the school year, options are limited during the summer. In an effort to supplement summer breakfast programs, we’re hosting a Facebook “Like” drive to earn servings of milk for children in need. For every new Facebook user to “Like” Shamrock Farms from now until April 30, one 8-oz serving of nutrient-rich milk, up to 10,000 servings, will be donated to the Arizona Partnership to End Childhood Hunger, which in turn will distribute the milk to affiliated summer breakfast programs throughout the state.
If you’re not a Shamrock Farms fan on Facebook, please like us now and help us achieve our fundraising goal. And tomorrow, rethink your breakfast and make the right choice!